Register

Saw the RaZr for the first time yesterday...AND...

This is a discussion on Saw the RaZr for the first time yesterday...AND... within the Droid RAZR General Discussions forums, part of the Droid RAZR Forum category; Had two very first impressions, unfortunately not good. When I first had my eyes on this beauty (beast?) I noticed the four dock icons at ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Saw the RaZr for the first time yesterday...AND...

Hybrid View

Member #
    Liked
    24 times

Saw the RaZr for the first time yesterday...AND...

Had two very first impressions, unfortunately not good.

When I first had my eyes on this beauty (beast?) I noticed the four dock icons at the bottom. I thought they were a little stretched vertically. Is there a way we can set the resolution to something?
    (Like we do on Comps 1024x768, 1940x1024 etc)

Secondly, and this is more graver an issue for me, that I found the display dark. I asked the store guys to show me the brightest display this device could have and they went in the Settings>Display Settings> Ambient lights and showed me the brightness was max. I saw it myself and was slightly taken aback. 'This is the brightest it could get?' I thought to myself...It's a AMOLED right? and immediately I fished my HD7 and saw that it looked more 'brighter' vs the RaZr...again I ask you, is there a way we can configure the brightness? There is one auto-brightness and one manual-brightness right? So there is a possibility it was set on auto?

Though I am not in any hurry to buy this yet, (frankly can't afford it right now :P) I was pretty impressed by it overall.
    The speed, the look, the functions etc.

I am looking for an Android device that is amazing with functionality, emails, apps, games etc...So is this the one I am looking for?

Thanx for reading...and please comment...

Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    As far as resolution goes you can change the density with an app called ResToggle. If I remember right it costs 99 cents. There are other apps I just prefer ResToggle.

For the brightness under Settings>Display>Brightness there is an option called Display power saver. If it its checked it dims the screen a little no matter how you have the brightness set.

Member #
    Liked
    24 times
    Quote Originally Posted by tyrthas View Post
    As far as resolution goes you can change the density with an app called ResToggle. If I remember right it costs 99 cents. There are other apps I just prefer ResToggle.

For the brightness under Settings>Display>Brightness there is an option called Display power saver. If it its checked it dims the screen a little no matter how you have the brightness set.
    Ohh..that's what I was looking for...thanx man...I will figure this out...but also, just a side question, is there a very visible and an obvious difference between an LCD and an AMOELD screen with it comes to brightness...?

Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Personally I think the screen on my Razr looks a lot brighter than any other phone I've played with or owned. 90% of the time I have it all the way down with the power saver mode on. But that's one of those things that goes back and forth a lot. If you go back and look at a display again play with the brightness settings for yourself. Explore the phone and see how you feel. I love it and wouldn't trade it f or anything. But, that's just my opinion.

Member #
    Liked
    24 times
    Personally I think the screen on my Razr looks a lot brighter than any other phone I've played with or owned. 90% of the time I have it all the way down with the power saver mode on. But that's one of those things that goes back and forth a lot. If you go back and look at a display again play with the brightness settings for yourself. Explore the phone and see how you feel. I love it and wouldn't trade it f or anything. But, that's just my opinion.
    Again Thanx, I have to admit I was in a hurry when I went to see it. BUt now next time, I will wait for a while and will do what you told me. I don't mind my brightness being all the way up when I am outdoor, but indoors, I will make it auto...
    So, will make sure I will take a good look at it next time...appreciate your help.

Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Glad I could help I hope you find your perfect Droid.
    B.L.E.A.K likes this.

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    242 times
    Glad I could help I hope you find your perfect Droid.
    There is no such thing. That's why we root and change ROMs constantly in search of that perfect Droid.

Quote Originally Posted by shizumie View Post
    Wow HD7 must be bright! I have mine on lowest setting, and really wish it could go a notch lower indoors. Coulda just been a used and abused floor model?
    I have the same problem at night. On it's lowest setting the screen is still too bright!

Member #
    Wow HD7 must be bright! I have mine on lowest setting, and really wish it could go a notch lower indoors. Coulda just been a used and abused floor model?

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Tho I don't know a Razr yet, its in my Final Two (Razr vs. Nexus). So, my perspective is from a potential buyer.

When I was in the VZW store the other day (4 hours round trip), I was quite impressed with the Razr. I have a slight vision problem, so display quality is important to me. Personally, I didn't notice the resolution issue. Nor did I see the Razr display being dark. Even my wife, who isn't tech savy at all, was very impressed with the clean crisp appearance of its display.

The only downside I've found about Amoled displays are the 'quirk' that you may find some dead/black pixels, but those are apparently only visible in dark/dim settings. But the plus is that Amoled is easier to see in bright settings such as outdoors. Though I loved my Thunderbolt, and the LCD display was beautiful, in my bright sunny climate I couldn't see a dang thing outdoors unless I found a deeply shaded spot. Really wish I could have the Rezound's LCD with the benefits of Amoled outdoors.

Member #
    Liked
    24 times
    Quote Originally Posted by cvhovey View Post
    Tho I don't know a Razr yet, its in my Final Two (Razr vs. Nexus). So, my perspective is from a potential buyer.

When I was in the VZW store the other day (4 hours round trip), I was quite impressed with the Razr. I have a slight vision problem, so display quality is important to me. Personally, I didn't notice the resolution issue. Nor did I see the Razr display being dark. Even my wife, who isn't tech savy at all, was very impressed with the clean crisp appearance of its display.

The only downside I've found about Amoled displays are the 'quirk' that you may find some dead/black pixels, but those are apparently only visible in dark/dim settings. But the plus is that Amoled is easier to see in bright settings such as outdoors. Though I loved my Thunderbolt, and the LCD display was beautiful, in my bright sunny climate I couldn't see a dang thing outdoors unless I found a deeply shaded spot. Really wish I could have the Rezound's LCD with the benefits of Amoled outdoors.
    ALso, do you guys feel the bottom four icons looked slightly stretched vertically? Slightly you know, like a resolution issue that happens on our PCs and the way icons look...I may be wrong, but I just thought so when I looked at it.

Quote Originally Posted by SallyC View Post
    That's very strange. I don't have mine set to full brightness and it's very bright. I would go back and check another one. Maybe something else was checked - like the Power saver feature tyrthas mentioned - but it's definitely not a dark display.
    Hi SallyC, I am surely going back and this time to another store altogether. I am honestly doing my bit of ground work here as, honestly, I can't afford it right now.
    But the moment the price comes down one slab, SPANK! I'M GETTING MINE!

Ads