Register

Any way to disable Mass Storage?

This is a discussion on Any way to disable Mass Storage? within the Droid Razr ICS General Discussion forums, part of the Droid Razr Ice Cream Sandwich Forum category; I use my laptop or computer to charge and it was nice on Gigngerbread when the phone did not try to mount the SD card. ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Any way to disable Mass Storage?

Member #

Any way to disable Mass Storage?

I use my laptop or computer to charge and it was nice on Gigngerbread when the phone did not try to mount the SD card. Faster, no pop-ups on the computer and my ringtones from SD card would work while charging. Upgraded to leaked ICS, and it only gives me 3 options when connected to a computer, all of which are some sort of file transfer. Anybody know if there's a way to just tell it to charge and nothing else? Thank you.

Administrator
    Member #
    Liked
    316 times
    As far as I know, there is no way. If you're rooted, the workaround for the ringtones is to move them to the phone to /system/media/audio/ either the ringtone or notification folder, depending on what you're using it for. It's an inelegant solution, but only way around it at this time. I'm, not sure why charge only was dropped as an option on ICS, my guess was there were too many questions/complaints from folk who couldn't see their sd card when plugged in, so they called moto or Vz for the simple solution. With charge only gone, so is that problem

Member #
    darn those folks..... thank you for the suggestion, I didn't realize I couldn't move ringtones to /system folder without root, just tried a few times, thought maybe it's the FS File explorer issue....

Member #
    This is even worst than I thought, woke up to a completely discharged phone today. I have a macbook pro, and charge my phone using the usb cable. When the lid on the laptop is closed, OS is asleep, laptop still provides power to the usb port, so that's how the phone would charge overnight. Now with ICS, and this mass storage option, as soon as the laptop's lid is closed, the phone stops charging... I guess it somehow still able to tell that it's a laptop it's connected to, and since mass storage is down, it won't draw power either.....? Small inconvenience, but so annoying.

Administrator
    Member #
    Liked
    316 times
    Quote Originally Posted by calllka View Post
    darn those folks..... thank you for the suggestion, I didn't realize I couldn't move ringtones to /system folder without root, just tried a few times, thought maybe it's the FS File explorer issue....
    No, you do need to be rooted to move anything into the system partition. Not sure about the macbook/power issue (no mac), but the simple workaround is to use the charger instead

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    212 times
    Quote Originally Posted by calllka View Post
    This is even worst than I thought, woke up to a completely discharged phone today. I have a macbook pro, and charge my phone using the usb cable. When the lid on the laptop is closed, OS is asleep, laptop still provides power to the usb port, so that's how the phone would charge overnight. Now with ICS, and this mass storage option, as soon as the laptop's lid is closed, the phone stops charging... I guess it somehow still able to tell that it's a laptop it's connected to, and since mass storage is down, it won't draw power either.....? Small inconvenience, but so annoying.
    I have this issue on my mac as well. However I have enough of other power sources available that I haven't dug into this much to see what, if anything, can be done to fix it.

However I will be working on this tomorrow if time permits.

Member #
    Liked
    23 times
    the lack of a charge only option was one of the things I really disliked about ICS.
    Last edited by reallyneatgirl; 04-15-2012 at 11:13 PM.
    "If a man have a strong faith he can indulge in the luxury of skepticism." ~Friedrich Nietzsche

Member #
    You can always just cover the center pins in the USB plug and plug it into the computer. Those are the data pins so the phone will charge but not be detected by the computer.

I do that at work with a music player I have that won't play if it's connected to the computer. I use a little piece of paper from a post-it-note and cover them up and plug it in.

Member #
    CHARGE ONLY OPTION NO LONGER AVAILABLE WITH ICS?
    Sorry, this is news to me. When this update becomes OTA, I'm going to be pissed. I haven't messed with ICS yet at all. That's just ludicrous to succumb to ignorant people that purchase these amazing phones with so many capabilities. I'm sure someone will eventually provide a way to do it again, rooted or not.

Member #
    Liked
    23 times
    Quote Originally Posted by nadjkovic View Post
    CHARGE ONLY OPTION NO LONGER AVAILABLE WITH ICS?
    Sorry, this is news to me. When this update becomes OTA, I'm going to be pissed. I haven't messed with ICS yet at all. That's just ludicrous to succumb to ignorant people that purchase these amazing phones with so many capabilities. I'm sure someone will eventually provide a way to do it again, rooted or not.
    Curious? Are you just super ticked off that an option was removed?

The part that I bolded also confused me. Then again I am having a pain meds day because my fibro is acting up enough to earn an oscar and I might be a bit out of it.

It is an option that I miss (I went back to ICS. I had to try it again, I couldn't help it), but then again, I don't plug my phone into my computer for anything other than to use it mass storage, since I have 3 billion usb plugger in things plugged in to random outlets all over my house just waiting for a USB cord.
    "If a man have a strong faith he can indulge in the luxury of skepticism." ~Friedrich Nietzsche

Ads