Register

GPS loss of sensitivity after ICS update?

This is a discussion on GPS loss of sensitivity after ICS update? within the Droid Razr ICS Help forums, part of the Droid Razr Ice Cream Sandwich Forum category; I've been using my Maxx as my golf GPS since I got it. When we got the ICS update, I immediately noticed that the gps ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: GPS loss of sensitivity after ICS update?

Member #

GPS loss of sensitivity after ICS update?

I've been using my Maxx as my golf GPS since I got it. When we got the ICS update, I immediately noticed that the gps sensitivity went down hill. I used to be able to get a gps lock indoors, now it takes 5 mins or so to lock in when outside. Also, when approaching my ball, under gingerbread, it would immediately snap to an accurate distance reading. Now under ICS, I can get to my ball and have to sit there and wait while the gps slowly updates. This can get very frustrating. This has been my only issue with ICS. I've already wiped the cache, and I really don't want to do a factory reset if I don't have to. Any help on this?

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    106 times
    Moved to ics help section .... hopefully someone with similar issues can five you a hand.

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    212 times
    I'm not sure I have an answer either, but if you could post up the GPS app that you're using it may help us track down an answer.

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    272 times
    I've been having the exact same problem. But only when using Google maps.

To test things out, I downloaded an app called GPS location and it shows my exact location immediately. Yet Google maps continues to take all day to get a fix on where I'm at?

I think the GPS problem has to do with the fact that some apps are just not compatible with ICS.

Member #
    The golf GPS app I use is called swingbyswing, and I think they use google maps to overlay the course on the app, so you may be on to something here. However, to suggest that google maps isn't as compatible with google's own ICS? I'd have to wonder what happened there.

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    272 times
    At least you would think.

Google also made the Chrome app which still needs a lot of work.

Its obviously we are dealing with a software compatibility issue. Just tried the GPS location app again and it gave my location instantly. No problem at all yet Google maps is still taking forever to pinpoint my location.

Member #
    Liked
    12 times

Same problem with GPS

I've just noticed the same thing in the past couple of weeks with SwingbySwing golf GPS app. Google Maps/Navigation and Waze. I used to get almost immediate GPS lock. Now, more often than not, it just keeps searching. Sometimes if I reboot the phone it will come right up but other times it continues to search for the signal.

Member #
    I'm glad, yet sad, to know that I'm not the only one having this difficulty. I like swingbyswing because I get a gps and score card app all in one for free. At this point I'd be willing to pay for a combo app like that, that will lock on the the gps quickly and accurately. Hopefully the update coming in mid-august fixes this issue.

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    212 times
    ICS is still a new OS that only a few devices have available for it. I'd say that it wouldn't be too long until most Dev's get their apps updated for the new 4.? versions of Android that are starting to arrive!

Member #
    Liked
    79 times
    I haven't had any issues with stock GPS navigation or Gmaps. I also use GPS for foursquare checkins with no issues.
    fury™ - not helping the situation since 1987
    Twitter

Ads