Register

Will new update relock my boot loader and unroot the phone?

This is a discussion on Will new update relock my boot loader and unroot the phone? within the Droid Razr M Help forums, part of the Droid Razr M category; Just got a RAZR M and finally was able to unlock the boot loader and root the phone with Motopocalypse and Droid RAZR M Util ...

+ Reply to Thread
    Member #

Will new update relock my boot loader and unroot the phone?

Just got a RAZR M and finally was able to unlock the boot loader and root the phone with Motopocalypse and Droid RAZR M Util 1.20. Recently I heard that the next RAZR M factory update will have an impenetrable boot loader and be unrootable. I am now being pestered to install an update which I assume is this impenetrable one. If I accept this update will I lose root and be unable to reestablish access or will my root access be unaffected? If it will destroy my root capabilities, how do I stop the update pushes? Thanks to anyone in advance who can help with this.

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    227 times
    I don't have confirmation on that, but I'm very suspicious of. Additionally, they were in such a rush to get it out, many are having catastrophic issues with this version of 4.1.2 Don't you have a root browser installed?

Edit:
    Just did some digging. If you are unlocked (and using custom recovery TWRP) you can take the OTA you can easily reroot. It will not relock the bootloader.
    Last edited by hillmom; 07-24-2013 at 05:39 PM.

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    227 times
    No need to take an OTA. We can thank mhouse33 for creating a flashable, prerooted version!

http://batakang.com/ftp/?dir=devs%2Fmhous33%2FXT907

Member #
    I used Matt's utility and installed stock recovery and used step 1 to go back to stock. My boot loader was already unlocked BTW . I then rooted and hid root with voodoo. Took the update from Verizon then restored root with voodoo. Reinstalled twrp and restored a deodexed ROM I use as a DD. The new radio update is also working on the deodexed ROM. But I wonder if simply flashing an updated ROM will also apply the update to other nandroid backups. Or are you stuck having to use the flashed ROM to get the better radio.

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    227 times
    I believe there is a place where the components are broken down. You could try and flash the radio on one of your back ups and see.

Member #
    Maybe I didn't explain my question properly. I'm no high school grad lol.

After restoring my phone back to stock with Matt's utility and updating when I go to about phone for no matter what 4.1.2 rom I have running it shows the new radio baseband. The system version doesn't change. So it makes me think doing it ota installs the baseband over the entire system. Perhaps its in the kernal? But if you flash a updated ROM above does it have the same effect or just apply the updated baseband to that particular ROM posted above? Just thinking some clarification on what happens would help others who might be in my situation having no desire to run the ROM above but want the new baseband on there favorite ROM.

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    227 times
    The ROM posted above would save someone a lot of time and steps if they wanted the newer version of 4.1.2, and have an unlocked bootloader. There could have been some changes to the kernel (code that is the line of communication between programming and hardware), but I don't know. There were several changes made in this update 1) basic fine tuning 2) fixing the hole that allowed the bootloader to be unlocked (but not relocking it).

If you restored (through TWRP, I'm assuming), there is a good chance it is using the new radio version was left in. I'm still learning but to my understanding, the radio has its own partition. The system would be over written during the restore, but unless there was specific code telling the radio to be rewritten, it would remain the same. So system version returns to that of the backup, as the system partition is rewritten, and the radio partition is left alone. If you were to flash CM10.1 there is a different kernel for it, but I assume it would leave the radio alone (unless it contained a specific version that is needed for proper operation).

Sorry on the hazy explanation, like I said, I'm still learning.

Member #
    Liked
    34 times
    Is there a link about flashing roms on Razr hd/Maxx HD? I'm new to the unlocked bootloader as we and I'm afraid to take the ota because I don't want Maxx to be a brick. Thanks,
    Droid
    Droidlynn X. Does "Droid"

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    320 times
    Don't take the ota then.

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    317 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Droidlynnxdoes View Post
    Is there a link about flashing roms on Razr hd/Maxx HD? I'm new to the unlocked bootloader as we and I'm afraid to take the ota because I don't want Maxx to be a brick. Thanks,
    Droid
    There usually is a program that will allow you to restore if your phone is bricked, however, there's always the chance that you can permanently brick your phone. Be sensible and smart prior to installing a ROM and always have a fall back plan of action. Also, be prepare to purchase a new phone, if you are not able to return the phone to a usable mode. As always, any modification is performed at the users risk.

Ads