Register

If I root, how will I get the ICS update?!

This is a discussion on If I root, how will I get the ICS update?! within the Droid RAZR Development forums, part of the Droid RAZR Hacking category; I will be getting a Razr soon(wooooohooooo). I have a rooted OG which I will dearly miss. I'm so looking forward to rooting the Razr ...

+ Reply to Thread

Hybrid View

Member #

If I root, how will I get the ICS update?!

I will be getting a Razr soon(wooooohooooo). I have a rooted OG which I will dearly miss. I'm so looking forward to rooting the Razr to remove all the stinking bloatware, but I'm concerned. I know that ICS is coming to the Razr, but if I root, how will I get the update? If there is still no way to make a backup, what is one to do then? I was thinking of waiting for the update, then rooting, hoping that someone will find a way to root after the update. What do you guys think? I would like to know.... Thanks.

Member #
    Best guess? No. However, the good news is that the Android community will probably come out with a version of ICS before it's actually available for the RAZR. Also, it's fairly easy to unroot (if you used the Doomlord exploit) when ICS officially comes out. This should allow you to unroot, reboot, and check for OTA update. Easy Peasy!

Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    Rooting has never stopped me from getting OTA on Motorola phones.
    Removing bloatware on the other hand, well...... Just don't do it if you want the update.

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    I personally would not load ICS till it has a root exploit but if a Razor is like the other Moto Droid phones as long as you did not remove any apps off the phone it will upgrade and you will lose root.

Member #
    Liked
    5 times
    Quote Originally Posted by weaponx View Post
    I will be getting a Razr soon(wooooohooooo). I have a rooted OG which I will dearly miss. I'm so looking forward to rooting the Razr to remove all the stinking bloatware, but I'm concerned. I know that ICS is coming to the Razr, but if I root, how will I get the update? If there is still no way to make a backup, what is one to do then? I was thinking of waiting for the update, then rooting, hoping that someone will find a way to root after the update. What do you guys think? I would like to know.... Thanks.
    ics is likely months away, by that time we will hopefully have the stock files to flash so it wouldnt matter either way.
    i was always told if you dont have all the vzw bloat on the phone you wont get the update but i have no personal experience to back that up, im always flashing something lol

Member #
    Liked
    8 times
    Quote Originally Posted by bweN diorD View Post
    ics is likely months away, by that time we will hopefully have the stock files to flash so it wouldnt matter either way.
    i was always told if you dont have all the vzw bloat on the phone you wont get the update but i have no personal experience to back that up, im always flashing something lol
    Yeah, the dev community has strong kung-fu and gets stronger with each new device, build, version, release...etc. They always come through in time (or before time, some times) to help.

Quote Originally Posted by Debian Dog View Post
    I personally would not load ICS till it has a root exploit but if a Razor is like the other Moto Droid phones as long as you did not remove any apps off the phone it will upgrade and you will lose root.
    Agreed, no need to rush in when we have a great community of developers who are intrepid enough to hang out on the edge for the rest of us. When they get it resolved and stable, the rest of us are better for it. I have a great appreciation for them.

Member #
    You will get notified -unless you remove the notification service- but the update will fail if you remove some of the apps.
    Best thing you can do (if you still want to root) is to freeze the apps. Titanium BackUp is a popular choice, but I have had bad experiences with it. If you use it, don't back up data, just the app.
    I'm root, and froze the apps with Bloataware freezer (or something like that). I think all it does it to take the *.apk file and rename it to *.bak. Battery life has increased considerably -26-28 hrs or so with light use.

Member #
    I rooted my razr the day after I got it and I let the update go through after it updated while my phone was still rooted it worked fine and my phone was still rooted.

Ads