Register

Is there a Motorola issue with Chromecast?

This is a discussion on Is there a Motorola issue with Chromecast? within the Droid RAZR Help forums, part of the Droid RAZR Support Forum category; Any other Razr or Razr Maxx folks out there that were able to obtain the new Google Chromecast? I got one and am having issues ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Is there a Motorola issue with Chromecast?

Member #
    Liked
    13 times

Is there a Motorola issue with Chromecast?

Any other Razr or Razr Maxx folks out there that were able to obtain the new Google Chromecast? I got one and am having issues with 2 things:

1) I cannot stream music from my Google Play app to the Chromecast as the little Chromecast icon does not appear at the top when I open the Google Play music app. Netflix and YouTube works great though as the icon does appear at the top under those 2 apps and streaming works flawlessly. Also, all streaming, including the Google Play music app works great from my N7 tablet, my laptop and my PC.

2) I was not able to do the setup via the phone although the setup instructions and YouTube videos I've watched say that you can. I had to do it from my laptop and even after I was successful at getting Chromecast set up on my TV, when I try to open the Chromecast app from the phone, it is not recognizing the fact that I have Chromecast set up on my wifi network.

I posted this information in both a Chromecast forum and a Google Product Forum and my threads produced 4 responses from others that were having the exact same issue and all of the responses were from people that owned a Razr or a Razr Maxx. So, could this be a Motorola issue? No smartphone owner of any other brand has replied with this issue.

Outside of this issue on my Razr Maxx with the Google Play music app, I have to say the product works great! The quality of the streaming is very good and setup was very easy, when I did it via my laptop.

Appreciate any feedback from any fellow Razr/Razr Maxx owners that have Chromecast as to whether they're seeing this issue on their phones.

If anybody out there has any questions about Chromecast, I'd be happy to try and answer them.

Member #
    Liked
    13 times
    95 views and no comments?

I just got off the phone with Motorola Level 2 support. The explanation I got is that the Motorola Razr Maxx is running 4.1.2 and Chromecast was designed to run on 4.2.2 and above. I have the older version Nexus 7 tablet running 4.2.2 (still waiting for upcoming 4.3 update) and Chromecast works perfectly with it. The rep said that if the Razr Maxx ever receives another update, then Chromecast should have full functionality with the Razr/Razr Maxx.

I'm not really sure if this is a valid explanation or not. According to the Chromecast website, "Chromecast is compatible with WiFi-enabled Android 2.3+ smartphones and tablets".

So, I guess my question to readers of this thread is: Does anybody running 4.1.2 or lower have a Chromecast setup and if so, do you have full functionality controlling Chromecast from your smartphone?

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    358 times
    I just ordered Chromecast so I may have some input when it arrives in 5-9 days.

It is such a new product that there are probably not many members who've purchased it as yet. I will be disappointed if it doesn't work with the Maxx. If you need the newer version of JB they should clearly stipulate that at the point of purchase. However, looking at Amazon (where I purchased it) there is no mention of a requirement for the newer JB. We shall see.

Looking at Amazon it states:
    Supported Operating Systems
    Android 2.3 and higher
    iOS 6 and higher
    Windows 7 and higher
    Mac OS 10.7 and higher
    Chrome OS (Chromebook Pixel, additional Chromebooks coming soon).
    Sometimes You're The Hammer And Sometimes You're The Nail.
    It Is More Fun Being The Hammer, But You Learn More Being The Nail.

FORUM GUIDELINES OF CONDUCT

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    253 times
    Quote Originally Posted by B360155 View Post
    95 views and no comments?

I just got off the phone with Motorola Level 2 support. The explanation I got is that the Motorola Razr Maxx is running 4.1.2 and Chromecast was designed to run on 4.2.2 and above. I have the older version Nexus 7 tablet running 4.2.2 (still waiting for upcoming 4.3 update) and Chromecast works perfectly with it. The rep said that if the Razr Maxx ever receives another update, then Chromecast should have full functionality with the Razr/Razr Maxx.

I'm not really sure if this is a valid explanation or not. According to the Chromecast website, "Chromecast is compatible with WiFi-enabled Android 2.3+ smartphones and tablets".

So, I guess my question to readers of this thread is: Does anybody running 4.1.2 or lower have a Chromecast setup and if so, do you have full functionality controlling Chromecast from your smartphone?
    Don't have Comcast. Sorry. I read all threads as a mod, but I couldn't help you, so I didn't reply. Good luck with your issue!

Member #
    Liked
    60 times
    I have a RAZR M running 4.1.2 ( the latest update pushed via OTA a couple of weeks ago) and I am thinking to get a Chromecast, but I do not have it yet.

What I would do is to test it with with a non-Motorola phone running 4.1.2, should not be difficult to find a friend with one.

Companies always have a vested interest in blaming something else for issues with their products, I would not take at face value what Moto told you. Although now Google owns Motorola, they are still run separately. I would rather give more weight to what a tech support guy at Google might have to say, since Moto is passing the buck to them....
    Razr M Stock
    16Gb PNY Class 10 Micro SDHC
    Miztech MZ 521 PDA Leather Holster

Life is too short to own a boring phone...

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    358 times
    Check this out from our Forum postings. Rooting the Chromecast device.

Chromecast Root And BootLoader Exploit!

Member #
    Liked
    13 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Batman View Post
    I have a RAZR M running 4.1.2 ( the latest update pushed via OTA a couple of weeks ago) and I am thinking to get a Chromecast, but I do not have it yet.

What I would do is to test it with with a non-Motorola phone running 4.1.2, should not be difficult to find a friend with one.

Companies always have a vested interest in blaming something else for issues with their products, I would not take at face value what Moto told you. Although now Google owns Motorola, they are still run separately. I would rather give more weight to what a tech support guy at Google might have to say, since Moto is passing the buck to them....
    I started a thread in the Motorola Droid Razr/Razr Maxx forum and got a reply from a poster that he and his wife were having the same issue on their Razr Maxx's. However, he also had a HTC One X phone for his work phone and that phone running 4.1.1 was able to access the Chromecast perfectly fine.

To be fair, I've also seen posts from Nexus 4 owners having issues with Chromecast as well in customer reviews for the Chromecast app on the Play Store.

I also have posted in a Google Product Forum and a Google employee has assigned this issue to a Chromecast Team, so hopefully someone somewhere will figure this all out. With Chromecast being a new product, I guess a few bugs are to be expected at initial rollout.
    ToeJamm likes this.

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    358 times
    I also have posted in a Google Product Forum and a Google employee has assigned this issue to a Chromecast Team, so hopefully someone somewhere will figure this all out. With Chromecast being a new product, I guess a few bugs are to be expected at initial rollout.
    Glad you posted to Google. I purchased this specifically to use with my Maxx and will be hugely disappointed if it won't work.

Member #
    Liked
    13 times

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    358 times
    Thanks for the info B. That is somewhat of a relief for me since I purchased it primarily for use with Netflix. Hopefully they will resolve the issue soon - especially now that it is getting some attention.

Ads