Register

Text message video mode gone after jellybean update

This is a discussion on Text message video mode gone after jellybean update within the Droid RAZR Maxx forums, part of the Droid RAZR Forum category; If you have a set group of people you share video clips with have you considered using a Dropbox account with a shared folder? It's ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    407 times
    If you have a set group of people you share video clips with have you considered using a Dropbox account with a shared folder? It's not as instantaneous as MMS but may be a reasonable work around for you.
    Sometimes You're The Hammer And Sometimes You're The Nail.
    It Is More Fun Being The Hammer, But You Learn More Being The Nail.

FORUM GUIDELINES OF CONDUCT

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by ToeJamm View Post
    From what I can tell the only way you can send video is if you open the text messenger, select whom you are sending to, touch the paper clip (attachment) and select "New Video". This takes you to the video recorder where you can record the subject. When video is complete, click the check mark and it takes you back to the text application to type a message.

This doesn't seem to allow you to send a video unless you've created it within the text application as an MMS. My guess is that they've done this to limit bandwidth utilization.

Hope this helps.

Edit: I don't understand why it won't allow you to send a video that was previously recorded if it were captured at the lower resolution. If I can find out anything I will pass it along.

Edit2: I don't see any option other than the one described above in this post. Unfortunately, it means you need to be intentional and pretty much clairvoyant when sending a video because it has to be taken from the MMS app menu. This is VERY limiting. I did find a post on the Verizon forum and a Verizon representative didn't seem to have a good answer either. They were telling the owner of a Droid Bionic to open the camera/video and select MMS resolution to send a video. This isn't even an option under Jelly Bean

ToeJamm,

Thank you for your response.

Funny thing is that with a video that I had resized and previously sent BEFORE the JB update (March) I can still attach and send via Text.
    I find that really odd.

I did as you suggested- I opened up a text message and selected the "attach new video" option then recorded the same 3 seconds and was able to attach and send it with the text. It also lets me forward it once I have sent it this way.

As you pointed out I would have to be clairvoyant to know what video I want to capture in the lower resolution prior to me recording it and thinking oh I might text this. What I am still unable to do is make a video now with the low resolution and send it as an existing video. I did just try it again, a 3 second snippet recorded in QVGA and I get the "Message size limit reached" message.

I appreciate you giving me this option at least!!! Though I am going to have to remember to switch video settings in between.

I am able to receive video texts with no problem.

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    407 times
    I tried the same things you did. It seems as though the text app is encoding the video so it recognizes that it can be sent. That seems to be why videos that were successfully transmitted before can be resent at will. Taking a video (even on the low resolution setting) doesn't seem to meet the app's criteria.

Out of curiosity are the videos you are receiving coming from iPhone users?

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by ToeJamm View Post
    I tried the same things you did. It seems as though the text app is encoding the video so it recognizes that it can be sent. That seems to be why videos that were successfully transmitted before can be resent at will. Taking a video (even on the low resolution setting) doesn't seem to meet the app's criteria.

Out of curiosity are the videos you are receiving coming from iPhone users?
    Yes the videos I am getting ARE from I Phone users.
    How did you know that?

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    407 times
    In my reading it said iPhone uses something other than mms and they seen to be able to send videos more easily

Ads